Open opportunities are listed below and will be updated as they become available. Please sign up for the Groundswell newsletter to stay up to date on our activities and opportunities around the world.
Available job opportunities are listed below.
Opportunity: Director of Donor Relations
This is a unique opportunity and challenge for the right candidate if you are an experienced and entrepreneurial professional excited to roll up your sleeves, lead as part of a small, collaborative team, and create strategies for organizational growth.
The right person will implement a thoughtful development strategy and strengthen internal systems for a growing organization. S/he will be well organized, self-directed and have excellent people skills. The right candidate will be able to take the lead on cultivating donors and partnering with board members on their fundraising efforts. S/he will spearhead fundraising efforts, with a particular focus on growing the major donor and family foundation program.
The Director of Donor Relations will report directly to and work closely with the Executive Director. S/he will coordinate communications and marketing staff, and collaborate with other key members of the team.
The Director of Donor Relations comes in at a time of growth and opportunity – a true inflection point. The organization has enjoyed steady growth, with a budget over $2 million, and opportunities for strategic expansion. Now is the time to leverage this opportunity by growing unrestricted resources as well as grant revenue.
A successful Director of Donor Relations will have important strategic achievements beginning in the first year. S/he will drive the implementation of our strategic fundraising plan with particular focus on growing individual giving while supporting short-term grant opportunities. We will see strong use of systems and relationships to build stronger donor pipelines. It is expected that the Director’s efforts and leadership will yield new revenue with greater success over time.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
Major Donor and Family Foundations Development:
- Lead the implementation of a coherent development strategy that integrates brand, messaging and outreach efforts, ensuring that key goals are met.
- Emphasis on growing support from major donors and family foundations.
- Develop and implement a stewardship strategy to move donors up the giving ladder.
- Develop new ways to build the major donor prospect pipeline including regional expansion.
Donor Program Administration and Management:
- Donor Research and Records Management: Lead prospect research and help maintain donor and prospect files including effective data base management.
- Management of Volunteer Ambassadors: Work with board members, major donors and other volunteer organizational ambassadors to implement outreach and fundraising strategies.
Communications and Outreach:
- Coordinate with communications staff to maximize effectiveness of website content, social media strategies, and outreach and communications campaigns to strengthen overall visibility, engagement and donations.
- Coordinate annual donor appeals.
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree required.
- Minimum of 6-8 years of direct fundraising experience and proven success in building and growing organizational fundraising strategies with an emphasis on major gifts, family foundations and individual giving.
- Experience with developing and implementing integrated fundraising and communications/social media strategies.
- Experience living or working in Africa, Latin America or a developing world setting preferred.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Entrepreneurial attitude and proven success in building an effective fundraising program. Driven by results.
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills. Sophistication and poise to speak convincingly to donors.
- Self-starter combining a passion for working collaboratively with a small team, and with Groundswell’s international partners, with the ability to work independently. Able to thrive and deliver results in a dynamic environment.
- Ability to quickly develop trust and confidence with colleagues, board members and stakeholders.
- Strong problem solving, research, and analytical skills.
- Comfortable using office and database technologies and web based communications and collaboration platforms.
- Commitment to Groundswell International’s mission, purpose and values.
- The position is based in Washington DC. Ability to travel at least 25% time.
- Health insurance allowance, flexible work schedule, and ample vacation time.
- Compensation is commensurate with experience. Salary range: $65,000-85,000.
- Groundswell International is an equal opportunity employer.
To apply send resume, cover letter, three references and salary history to: email@example.com. Please note in your cover letter where you saw the job announcement. Applications received by June 1, 2017 will receive preference. Position open until filled.
Volunteer and Internship Opportunities
Volunteers and interns are not only important to our success, they are members and stakeholders in the Groundswell movement.
Summer 2017 Internship Position: Communications & Development Intern, see description below
- Location: Washington, DC
- Period: 15 weeks, May – August 2016 (start and end date negotiable)
- Time: 30 hours per week
The Communications & Development Intern is a part-time position that will work closely with our Director of Resource Development. The internship is based in Washington, DC and we do not accept remote candidates at this time. This is an opportunity to work with a dynamic, young organization making a positive impact in the world. We seek a creative person able to work with our leadership team to assist in developing and implementing fundraising and awareness campaigns, with a willingness to share new ideas and strategies.
Description of Communications & Development Intern Responsibilities:
- Communications & Marketing: Support Groundswell team in developing communications to our supporters. Assist Director of Resource Development in designing, implementing, and measuring awareness campaigns through both social media and traditional channels.
- Social Guru: Developing our online presence to engage and enrich our extended community through Facebook, Twitter, and Groundswell’s Updates from the Ground blog.
- Fundraising: Assist in planning and organizing fundraising campaigns for the fall and spring. Research funding opportunities and assist in development efforts.
- Administrative: Assist team members with daily tasks and occasional errands.
- Ideal candidate is a current undergraduate or graduate student
- Excellent communication skills (written and verbal English)
- Commitment to social change and interest in international community development
- Organized with a strong attention to detail
- Articulate and confident in communications
- Excels utilizing social media to leverage community engagement
- Self-motivated, goal-oriented, and energetic
- Experience in graphic design a plus
Compensation: This is an unpaid internship. Opportunities for course credit are available. If interested in working with Groundswell for course credit, please include this in your cover letter.
To apply, send resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please note in your cover letter your availability and desired start and end date.