Thank you for your interest in working with Groundswell International.
Purpose and Mission of Groundswell International: Groundswell is a partnership of local organizations working in 10 countries in Latin America and the Caribbean, West Africa and South Asia. Our mission is strengthening communities to build healthy farming and food systems from the ground up. The role of staff and consultants is to work and coordinate as an effective team in support of accomplishing our mission and Strategic Framework.
Now Accepting Applications
Donor Relations Manager
(Posted May 4, 2021)
This is a unique opportunity to contribute to a dynamic and growing global partnership organization that is promoting transformative, ground-up change in our agricultural and food systems. You will join a streamlined, collaborative staff team working in partnership with our network of local partners.
We seek a dynamic Donor Relations Manager to help steward and grow our community of donors and generate increased funding support for our mission. The Donor Relations Manager will report to and work closely with the Executive Director and will co-lead our resource development strategy along with our Grants Manager, and in collaboration with program and communications staff.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Leadership, Coordination, and Teamwork: (20%)
- Co-lead the implementation of a coherent resource development strategy that integrates donor relationship development with brand and messaging, ensuring that key fundraising goals are met.
- Work as an effective team member with the Executive Director, Grants Manager, other staff, and our network of international partner organizations.
- Lead coordination with the Resource Development Committee of our Board of Directors to advance our donor relationships and fundraising. Attend quarterly Board meetings.
- Major Donors and Family Foundations Development: (50%)
- Emphasis on growing support from major donors and family foundations.
- Actively develop and steward relationships with existing and new donors, working to deepen engagement and increase donor giving.
- Promote strategies to continuously broaden our portfolio of prospects and donors.
- Coordinate effective moves management processes with donors and prospects.
- Write concept notes, proposals, acknowledgement letters and reports as needed for major donors and family foundations.
- Represent Groundswell at networking events and conferences.
- Provide donors with guidelines for planned giving opportunities.
- Donor Appeals, Campaigns and Events (20%)
- Coordinate two donor appeals each year (electronic and direct mail)
- Coordinate virtual and in-person gatherings to deepen and expand the community of donors supporting Groundswell’s mission.
- Coordinate any campaigns such as employee giving campaigns, walk-a-thon’s, etc.
- Collaborate with Grants Manager on key proposals when needed.
- Coordinate with Communications Consultant to maximize effectiveness of website, social media and communications in support of donor relations.
- Administration: (10%)
- Ensure accurate management of donor information in our data base.
- Ensure accurate flow of donor information to our finance staff.
- Other strategic tasks as assigned.
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree required.
- Minimum of 5 years of direct fundraising experience and proven success with an emphasis on family foundations, major gifts and individual giving.
- Experience integrated fundraising and with effective communications and social media strategies.
- Experience or knowledge or agroecology and sustainable local food systems in international contexts is preferred.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- An entrepreneurial, self-starter who combines a passion for working collaboratively with a small staff team of committed professionals and network of global partners.
- A track record of proven fundraising success; driven by results.
- Thrives on building donor relationships in support of a compelling mission for social change.
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills, and able to build trust and relationships with donors as well as staff and board.
- Strong problem solving, research, and analytical skills. Able to work independently and adapt in a dynamic environment.
- Comfortable using office and database technologies and web-based communications and collaboration platforms.
- Commitment to Groundswell International’s mission, purpose and values.
- Proficiency in Spanish or French is a plus.
- We strongly encourage candidates to apply who represent the communities we work with in the Americas, Africa and South Asia.
Location and Travel:
- Groundswell’s office is based in Washington DC.
- Position may be located virtually in the US. Fully remote.
- Ability to travel at least 25% time.
- Health insurance allowance and ample vacation time.
- Compensation is commensurate with experience.
- Salary range: $65,000 – $85,000 per year.
- Full time position.
Groundswell International is an equal opportunity employer.
To apply send resume and cover letter to: email@example.com
Please note in your cover letter where you saw the job announcement.
Position open until filled.