Thank you for your interest in working with Groundswell International.
Purpose and Mission of Groundswell International: Groundswell is a partnership of local organizations working in 10 countries in Latin America and the Caribbean, West Africa and South Asia. Our mission is strengthening communities to build healthy farming and food systems from the ground up. The role of staff and consultants is to work and coordinate as an effective team in support of accomplishing our mission and Strategic Framework.
Now Accepting Applications for the Following Position
West Africa Director For Action-Learning and Advocacy (Posted December 14, 2022)
Reports to: West Africa Regional Coordinator
Coordinates With: Executive Director, Director of Program Management, Partner Organizations
Purpose of Position: To support Action-Learning and Advocacy, grounded in community-level program implementation, that improves program effectiveness, wellbeing of involved communities, and influences allies and decision makers to support agroecology and sustainable local food systems.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
The Employee’s responsibilities include (but will not be limited to) the following:
- Support the development and effective implementation of multi-country Action-Learning and amplification programs to strengthen the spread of agroecology and sustainable local food systems that improve the wellbeing of communities.
- Facilitate action-learning between member NGOs and allies to improve program effectiveness.
- Support effective monitoring and evaluation to generate program lessons and documentation of results.
- Work with NGO members to systematize and document key methodologies, results and recommendations for dissemination and influencing of other allies and decision makers.
- Represent Groundswell before different actors and audiences in Africa, the US, Europe and elsewhere (e.g., NGOs, networks, farmers’ and women’s movements, development agencies, governments, funders, etc.)
- Undertake strategically selected consultancies on behalf of Groundswell, as negotiated with the West Africa Regional Coordinator and Executive Director, that further our mission and strategic framework.
- Strengthen alliances and advocacy strategies in West Africa to work for enabling governance and policy contexts for agroecology and sustainable local food systems.
- Represent the perspectives of Groundswell and our West Africa network and elevate the voices of member NGOs as well as leaders of farmers’, women’s and community-based organizations, in key influencing and advocacy spaces at national, regional and international levels (e.g., local government, ministries, international development agencies, NGO and civil society alliances, philanthropic networks, etc.).
Resource Development and Marketing: (20%)
- Develop and steward relationships with foundations to support the implementation of this work.
- Work closely with Groundswell’s program and resource development staff and member organizations to develop grant proposals for regional action-learning and advocacy programs; ensure effective reporting.
- Communicate program results and stories.
Contribution to Groundswell’s global partnership: (15%)
- Upon request, contribute global action-learning and documentation initiatives.
- Participate as a leading member of Groundswell’s streamlined staff team in strategic leadership and management.
- Participate in global strategic planning, and bi-annual Global Conferences and West Africa Regional Conferences.
- Make presentations to different audiences on behalf of Groundswell.
Working Relationships and Coordination:
- The Director for Action Learning and Advocacy (DALA) for West Africa will be responsible to the West Africa Regional Coordinator.
- The DALA will work as a team and in close coordination with Executive Director, Director of Program Management, and other Groundswell staff, as well as staff of NGO member organizations.
- Work priorities will be coordinated according to our Strategic Framework 2023-2027, Annual Priorities, six-month workplans and regular virtual and in-person communication and coordination meetings.
Location and Travel:
- The position will be based in either Burkina Faso, Ghana, Mali, or Senegal in West Africa.
- Groundswell staff work virtually from home offices or similar arrangements as negotiated. Support is provided for necessary equipment and supplies.
- Ability to travel 25% time.
Education and Experience
- The equivalent of at least a Master’s degree in a relevant field is preferred.
- A minimum of 5 years of experience and demonstrated effectiveness in action-learning and advocacy.
- Experience and knowledge of agroecology and sustainable local food systems in West Africa.
- Commitment to Groundswell International’s mission, purpose, and values.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Proficiency in French and English is required.
- We strongly encourage candidates from West Africa to apply.
- An entrepreneurial, self-starter who combines a passion for working collaboratively with a small staff team of committed professionals, a network of global member NGOs, and community-led social change.
- Strong problem solving, research, and analytical skills.
- Strong writing and communications skills.
- Able to work independently and adapt in a dynamic environment.
- Compensation is commensurate with experience.
- Health insurance allowance and ample vacation time.
Groundswell International is an equal opportunity employer.
To apply send resume, cover letter, three references and salary history to: email@example.com
Please note in your cover letter where you saw the job announcement.
Position open until filled.